Starting Procedures, Race Schedules and times – all the good to know stuff!
- Warming up is only allowed up-stream of Skooltjie bridge on Day 1 and Zonquasdrift bridge on Day 2.
- Paddlers will be started on Day 1 in batches seeded according to the CSA K1 ranking system.
- Batches will consist of 20 paddlers each.
- The first batch of seeded paddlers will be allowed on to the water at 09:50 on Day 1 into the Holding Zone to assemble in their starting positions within their batch at the first line of red flags on the water.
- Batches will consist of four rows of five and all paddlers will be allocated rows i.e. the first row is to be made up of only the top ranked 5 paddlers within the batch.
- At 09:55 the first batch, while holding their starting positions, may drift in position into the Starting Zone, up to the starting line.
- At 10:00 the race starts and the next batch of paddlers will then drift in position into the Starting Zone, up to the starting line.
- On Day 1 only, the top 20 female paddlers will be started separately unless the field is too small to allow them to enjoy competitive racing.
- Slip-riding of opposite sexes is allowed, subject to the basis of fair play and sportsmanship. (i.e. getting the boyfriend to wait and pull is NOT allowed)
- Slip-riding of men is allowed by all female paddlers. Female paddlers will be batched on merit together with the male paddlers according to the previous day’s results.
- Day 2 will start at 08:30 in the form of an elapsed time start for all paddlers that finish within the top thirty and within 30 minutes of the Day 1 winner. This is ‘A’ Batch.
- ‘B’ Batch and subsequent starts will begin at five-minute intervals in groups of 20 from 09:00/09:05, depending on when the last elapsed time paddler leaves. (A five-minute window is required to ensure adequate time for a batch to get onto the water.)
- Disregarding race officials’ instructions at the start or during the race will incur either a 20 minute time penalty or disqualification.
- Abuse of officials and other misdemeanours will be referred to the paddler’s provincial governing body for further action and/or will incur either a 20 minute time penalty or disqualification.
Day 1 Schedule
|08:00-09:30||Registration and Goodie Bag collection;|
|08:15-09:45||Boat inspection and entrance into Batch Pens|
|09:30||Welcome and safety announcements.|
|09:40||Paddlers to assemble in their batches in the Batch Pens|
|09:59-10:46||Photographic recording of assembled batches for scrutiny by Race Officials.|
|10:00||Race Start: ‘A’ Batch starts, subsequent batches move up into next zone|
|10:05-10:45||Next Batch of 20 paddlers starts. Repeated at 5min intervals.|
|11:45||Cut-off time at Grensplaas|
|12:30 onwards||Finishers arrive at Zonquasdrift. Time of arrival dependent on conditions.|
|13:45||Cut-off time at Hermon Bridge|
|15:30||Cut-off time at Zonquasdrift|
|(17:00)||(Springboks vs Scotland)|
Day 2 Schedule
|07:45-09:15||Entrance into Batch Pens.|
|08:15||All paddlers that finish within the top thirty and within 30 minutes of the Day 1 winner assemble at Zonquasdrift Bridge to start in an elapsed time start. This is ‘A’ Batch.|
|08:30-09:00||Elapsed time start. Slip-riding will be allowed for all female paddlers on Day 2.|
|08:40||All other paddlers to assemble in their batches in the Batch Pens|
|08:59-09:41||Photographic recording of assembled batches for scrutiny by Race Officials.|
|09:00/09:05-09:40||First batch starts, subsequent batches move up into next zone. Repeated at 5minute intervals|
|11:25 onwards||Finishers arrive at Bridgetown. Time of arrival dependent on conditions.|
|11:30||Cut-off time at Gouda Bridge|
|13:30||Cut-off time at Train Bridge|
|15:15||Cut-off time at Bridgetown|
|15:00-15:30||Prize-giving: Medals awarded, followed by the Lucky Prize Draw|